(Sizing: Left model in XL and right model in Small)
Fashion is all about self-expression, comfort, and confidence to take on whatever the day might bring. It can reflect personal style preferences, it can be practical, or it can be both. When it comes to gender neutral outfit ideas, you’ve come to the right place for everything from casual everyday outfits to formal date night looks that make you look and feel your best.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to style gender neutral outfits that look chic and feel great. Let’s dive in!
(Sizing: Both wearing size 32 bottoms)
Gender Neutral Outfit Ideas & Inspiration
While clothing is often separated into men’s and women’s sections, you can find non binary clothing ideas in both. Whether you need a look for a casual day out with friends, or you need something more formal for date night, we’ve got you covered. Check out these stylish gender neutral outfit ideas for inspiration!
Casual gender neutral outfits are great for everyday life. Here are some non binary outfit ideas with a chill and relaxed vibe to keep you comfortable and stylish throughout the day.
- Because cargo pants are loose-fitting, they are easy to style in a gender neutral way. They can be paired with hoodies for comfortable streetwear, or dressed up with more structured pieces and accessories. Stuck on what to wear with them? Don’t be! Olive cargo pants are a great option because they act as a neutral color, so they can be paired with patterned, bright, light, or dark shirts. Snapbacks and beanies go well with cargo pants, too.
- In warmer weather, cord shorts are a good option. Pair our pink shorts with a dark or patterned button-up T-shirt (add a classic jean jacket if you need layers).
- Pair a set of shorts with a crew neck sweatshirt for the “casual Princess Diana” look. Lady Di wore short athletic shorts, bright white sneakers, tube socks, and a collegiate sweatshirt in the famous paparazzi photos, but you can put your own spin on it.
Of course, not all of life’s events are casual. Need some tips on how to look gender neutral for a more formal evening? Check out these chic looks when it’s time to attend a family event, go to see a play, or present during a business meeting. Formal events can sometimes bring the pressure, but wearing clothing that makes you feel like yourself can help you keep cool, calm, and confident.
- Black is a powerful color; it’s simultaneously casual and formal. Dress up your black pants by pairing them with a blazer, dress shoes, and simple accessories for an extra touch of elegance.
- If you’re looking for more business casual gender neutral looks, opt for uniform pants with a sweater or button-up shirt. Polish off the look with a matching belt and pair of boots.
- In warmer temperatures, wear capri pants (khakis or dark trousers) with a short-sleeved collared shirt. This can’t-go-wrong combo is both practical and stylish for aesthetic gender neutral outfits. A subtle pattern on the pants or shirt, like pinstripes or florals, can show off your unique personality while maintaining an air of formality.
Nonbinary Looks for Date Night
Dressing as your true self will unleash your fierce strength and inner confidence. Your clothes on date night should make you feel happy and strong. A funky accessory could spark a conversation on a first date, or a band tee could reveal something you both have in common. Here’s how to dress gender neutral for date night:
- Whether you’re going for dinner and a movie, or you’re just hitting up the local burger spot, date nights call for a little something extra. You may find that pairing women’s tops with cargo pants, which are typically seen as more masculine, balances out and creates a gender neutral look you’ll love. How about a long-sleeve crop top with low-rise baggy pants, sunglasses, and sneakers? Try out a platform boot if you’re feeling extra bold. When it comes to gender neutral teenage clothes, it’s all about balancing out the look. But you certainly don’t have to be a teenager to rock this casual-chic look!
- If you prefer high-waisted pants for your crop top looks, go for cuffed pants. For example, a casual date night to the aquarium or beach calls for a button up shirt, high-waisted rolled pants, sandals, and a vest. Vests are great if you want to keep your arms unencumbered and still have pockets!
- Built-in pockets might not be quite enough storage if you’re going out on the town. A cross-body bag can hold a water bottle or a book if you and your date are going out for a picnic in the park. The bag can be the outfit’s focal point if it’s a loud, bright color or pattern, or it can blend in so the rest of the outfit can shine.
(Sizing: Both wearing size medium tops and medium bottoms)
Gender Neutral Outfits for Every Day
Hoodies are the best for everyday comfort, and layering is key for both warmth and comfort. Nothing accomplishes this better than a big, cozy hoodie. Picking a neutral color, like gray or beige, goes with any of the looks above.
- Getting a plain, solid color hoodie lets you customize it with fun accessories. Alternatively, customize it yourself with fabric markers! Have your friends sign their names and write funny messages on your hoodie. This keeps them close to you throughout the day and reminds you that you’re loved.
- Nothing says “relaxation” better than a pair of comfortable and loose-fitting ankle pants, sandals, a tie-dye shirt (store-bought or homemade) and a hoodie tied around the waist. It’s the ultimate outfit for comfort and flexibility for walking the dog, cleaning the house, going to a yoga class, or meeting friends for coffee.
- Joggers and hoodies are like peanut butter and jelly: a comforting daily routine. Pair this look with sneakers for a classic casual look, or opt for combat boots for an unexpected kick.
- Heading to the farmers market to pick up some summer squash? Try pairing jean overalls with a light-colored t-shirt for a look that’s both trendy, comfortable and practical.
Hoodies of all colors complete any outfit. Don’t worry about mixing neutrals, just throw on that hoodie! Remember: outfits don’t have to match perfectly in order to be stylish. In fact, throwing in some unexpected colors can let your personality shine.
Another great everyday nonbinary fashion staple is a flannel. Flannels are extremely versatile: they can be coverups at the beach, or keep you warm on an autumn night. A classic cotton checkerboard flannel can be worn buttoned up, half buttoned, or open. It can be worn with or without a shirt underneath, or wrapped around your waist. Flannels pair well with shorts and pants, as well as sneakers, boots or sandals.
(Sizing: Both wearing size medium hoodies)
Find Your Style with UNIONBAY
Clothing has an incredible power to help you blend in or stand out – either way is empowering because your style is a reflection of you. At UNIONBAY, we believe that everyone should have access to stylish and affordable clothes that make them feel strong and confident. For more gender neutral selections, UNIONBAY offers youthful clothing and lifestyle pieces that pair well with anything and suit any style. Shop our collection of stylish pieces or browse our clearance for the best deals. Join our Rewards Club to save 5-10% on each purchase. Log in or sign up today!